Plattsburgh City Hall
Hi friends, happy Wednesday! We made it half-way through the work week, YAY! This blog post is a little different, but I thought it would be fun to highlight some of my favorite places in my hometown – Plattsburgh, New York! Plattsburgh is a town with a population of almost 20k people and is located about 30 minutes south of the Canadian border. So when we say we’re from Upstate New York, we really mean it! And to be honest, we get annoyed when people in towns south of us say they are from Upstate New York because let’s be honest, you can’t really get more upstate than this general area! But I digress…
I got the idea for this blog post a while back when one of my friends was looking for someone she could trust to shape her eyebrows. She reached out to me and I gave her the name of the lady who has done mine a few times who I LOVE and my friend responded back with, “I love how you have a person for everything!” Because this wasn’t the first time I had referred her to someone I not only love working with but who I TRUST, which is the most important part! Plattsburgh gets a lot of hate because of it’s small size and usually people equate small towns to things like: less to do for entertainment, less options for food, less opportunity for success…the list goes on and living here for 27 out of my 29 years, I’ve heard it all! Heck I’m even guilty of complaining about the small size a time or two! But that doesn’t mean there aren’t hidden gems to be found! The businesses I’m about to list are one’s who I 110% trust and who are incredibly good at what they do, so without further ado, here are some of my favorite businesses in Plattsburgh, NY!
- Archer Bodyworks – This is one of the local spas in the area and they 21 5 star Google reviews for a reason! They have a full spa treatment menu to choose from and offer their services in a such a peaceful and relaxing environment. I’ve only ever had massages here so I can’t speak for the rest of the services they offer, but if you’re in need of a relaxing massage, this should be the first place you call!
- A Beautiful Mess – I love love LOVE this store!! It’s filled with such a beautiful random assortment of thoughtful gifts, candles, books, baby items, furniture paint, the list goes on! I always make sure to stop in when looking for a unique gift for someone! Also, if you’re in the area looking for someone to do your taxes, the owner is a certified CPA! Another bonus? The owners daughter is a talented hair & makeup artist, drawer, and hand-lettering artist as well! She owns Vignette & Vogue and has an office right in the back of the store. You really can’t go wrong with this place!
- Studio 136 – This beauty salon was started by my long time hairdresser, Jenn and her good friend turned business partner Mariel. I always love getting my hair cut here because it isn’t your typical hair salon. The decor is rustically modern and the staff is just the sweetest! There’s always a lot of laughs and just an overall sense of “family” vibe going on and I love it. I had previously tried other salons but they were just too catty for me. I wanted to go to a place where I knew once I walked out the door, the staff wouldn’t talk about me behind my back. It sounds so nasty but I know I’m not the only one who has experienced this at a hair salon at least once or twice! There’s no worry about that at Studio 136!
- Strand Center for the Arts – This is the local theatre located in downtown Plattsburgh and puts on a variety of shows from magic shows to silent films! It was built in 1924 but was recently restored a little over 7 years ago now and it looks absolutely beautiful! I always have a great time when I go with my family for a night out!
- Chen’s Oriental Cuisine Bar and Grill – When I have that random Chinese food craving, this is always where I want to go! Chen’s is fairly new to the area, but I have a feeling they will be sticking around for a while. The food is fresh and the atmosphere is clean and inviting. What more could you want from a restaurant?
- Harrigan’s – If you’re a fan of soft ice cream (who isn’t?!), then you HAVE to try Harrigan’s! It’s got the best soft ice cream in town and it’s always busy so you know it’s good! It’s the perfect summer treat and you can never go wrong with a traditional twist with rainbow sprinkles!
- Adirondack Dog Klips – This is where I bring Maddy and Emma to get groomed! They have been seeing Chelsea for about 2 years now and they love her! I always know they are in good hands with her which was so important to me because I am that crazy dog mom and I may or may not have cried the first time I dropped them off to get groomed. I know I have nothing to worry about when they are in Chelsea’s care and they always look and smell so good when it’s time to pick them up!
- Ultimate Skin Solutions – Remember at the beginning of the post, I said my friend asked for a recommendation for someone to shape her brows? Lydia from Ulitmate Skin Solutions was my recommendation! I LOVE Lydia, she is always so friendly and helpful whether I’m going in looking for a certain item of makeup (she sells BareMinerals in her shop), or if I’m wanting my eyebrows shaped. She’s just the best and always makes me feel so welcome whenever I stop in to pick up what I need!
- Sombrero Lawn Care – I can’t write this blog post and not include my husbands business! He started this from the ground up and I couldn’t be more proud of him. He does lawn care in the summer, Spring and Fall clean-ups, and plowing in the winter. His attention to detail is meticulous and always gets rave reviews from his clients, (so I know i’m not being bias!) He takes great pride in his work and it definitely shows. If you’re looking for lawn care service give him a call!